The CVQO Westminster Award runs from November, where nominations are first made, to July, where the winners go to South Africa, each year.
We're very pleased to be able to reveal the timings for 2019. These may be subject to slight changes, but offer a good idea of when everything's likely to take place.
- Nominations open – Monday 26 November
- Nominations close – Monday 28 Jan
- Stage 2 challenge set – Monday 7 Feb
- Stage 2 challenge close – Monday 25 Feb
- Selection finalists announced – Tuesday 12 March
- Selection – Monday 15- Thursday 18 April
- ILM submission deadline – Friday 10 May
- Finalists announced – Tuesday 14 May
- House of Lords lunch – Thursday 27 June
- South Africa trip – Tuesday 9 July - Tuesday 23 July
Here's a video of our Somerset Selection event in 2018 - it was shown at the House of Lords lunch, before the overall winner announcement
What are the criteria?
Simply sit within the appropriate age bracket (nominees must have been born between 1st September 2000 and 31st August 2002), be enrolled on or have completed a CVQO-led qualification and fit the description we're looking for. That's it.
There can be one nomination per ATC squadron, ACF detachment, Sea Cadet unit, CCF contingent or relevant training unit in other CVQO-partnered youth organisations (such as St John Ambulance, Fire Service cadets, Police cadets etc.)
This does mean that counties/regions/wings/areas are free to nominate multiple cadets, as long as they're from different units.